July 30, 2011

OCC: Red & Aqua Challenge

I'm playing along this week with Our Creative Corner's Red and Aqua Challenge.

When I was working on my idea for this challenge, I struggled a little. Looking through my paper I realized two things. I love this color combination. I hate this color combination. I actually made a trip to Michael's to find the light blue paper. While I think its close to the challenge color, I originally wanted something with a little more green (to actually, truly be more aqua). But such is life and after I found some inspiration in some mini-cupcake liners from Martha Stewart in my stash at home, this card came together beautifully.

My niece is turning 10 in a few weeks and I wanted to use this color scheme for her card because it instantly reminded me of her. She's so cute - a perfect balance of girly-girlness but athletic, adventurous and active. I have a few little gifts to put into a box and ship up to her but I wanted to share the card. Juliana...this one's for you!


Hope it doesn't spoil the birthday surprise!



I started with two shades of blue cardstock - one for the base, one for the mat. Then I got to turning the mini-cupcake papers into a little ruffle. It took a little bit of messing around but I finally got them where I wanted them.


Punched the doily, stamped the frame and sentiment and topped it off with a cute button.

Can't wait for next week - my first real challenge as a design team member. I hope I can come up with something good!

Have a great weekend!
Holly



1 comment:

  1. It doesn't look like you struggled with the color combination at all--it looks gorgeous! The cupcake liners look so cool, and I love them with the doily.

    ReplyDelete