April 21, 2012

OCC: Butterflies

Happy Saturday!


I trust you had a good week and are ready to enjoy a fun or relaxing or happily busy weekend. I know I am!


This week on Our Creative Corner, we're all about butterflies. Our host Irena "Rudlis" Kowalczyk, of Love Life and Crafts is challenging us all to use this butterfly image in a card, tag or other paper project.



Have you ever visited a butterfly garden? I've been in a few but my favorite one was at the Seattle Science Center. When you stand inside, its amazing to see them up close, see their detail, vivid color and subtle strength. Butterflies are just so colorful and ethereal - light, airy and delicate. They make me feel free and worry-free.

And this is my contribution to the challenge this week with that color inspiration in mind:




I am just in love with this embossing technique (can ya tell?) and in combination with PTI's butterfly dies, I just love this tag. This works best with Tim Holtz Distress Ink and this time, I used Fired Brick, Scattered Straw and Wild Honey. The papers I used came from one of my favorites - My Mind's Eye. And this small paper pad is one of my absolute favorites the Lost and Found 2 Rosy. As you can see, I added a little bit of tulle ribbon for a fun wispy type addition. 


To learn more about the embossing technique I used here, there's no one better than Jennifer McGuire. She's a great teacher so watch this YouTube video to get all the steps.


So fly away with us and make a butterfly-inspired paper craft. To get your creative juices flowing, see what the other OCC designers have put together:


Linda Coughlin The Funkie Junkie
Vicki Burdick It's a Stamp Thing
Sue Butler Scrumplescrunch
Anita Houston The Artful Maven Haven
Anne Marie Hile Stampin' Anne
Wendy Janson It's All About Stamping
Marcy Kaminski En Papillote Arts
Irena Kowalczyk (aka Rudlis) Love, Life and Crafts
Meihsia Liu Simply Paper Crafts
Tui Nathan Stampin Time
Lori Rider The Diva Stamper
Kristin Tierney Lilly Beth Boutique
Sharon Wheet Designs by Sharon 



I can't wait to see your contributions!
Holly



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful coloration on the background! Wonderful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I love the depth and richness of the colors you used! How wonderful! and your butterfly is so darling! I just want to put it outside my window! I think your addition of tulle really helps soften the whole look of that fabulous tag!
    I'm off to watch jennifer's u tube video. thanks for the tip!
    enjoy your weekend! hugs, sharon w.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the embossed background and the gorgeous layout of your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely - It reminds me of a Dawn McVey creation! Simple and lovely. That background is just delish too - I love the damask! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, your resist technique is perfection! It looks amazing on your tag! Love the color palette and that pretty ribbon! Hugs, Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....Holly, this is such a fabulous tag. The background is so beautiful. Love the layers of butterfly, too.

    ReplyDelete