June 2, 2012

OCC: Frame It Up!


Hi papercrafting pals!


I hope your Saturday weather is starting out better than ours today. In the Puget Sound area of Washington, its raining but warm the perfect combination for a bad hair day. Guess that's my cue to stay inside and do some papercrafting!

This week Susan is our host and is throwing down a fun challenge - Frames!
At first I didn't think this would be too hard but as I started sorting through my ideas, I realized it would be more of a challenge than it seemed. There were so many options to consider and so many different ways to create a frame. In the end, I settled on a sweet little box with two layered chipboard frames as the focal point for the top. 



I've made this box a few times and one of these days I'll actually take photos of the steps along the way but the process I used to make this box is roughly based on this video from Tresa Black. A few of Tresa's videos on YouTube were ultimately how I began this life in papercrafting.

I stamped the box base with a Martha Stewart flower clear stamp set called "Camilla" using Versa Magic Dew Drop ink in Pretty Petunia.


For the top, I used Adirondack Metallics paint in Pearl with the same stamp set. They've made it really easy to stamp with paint by adding a dauber at the top of the paint bottle. You just dab the stamp evenly with paint, stamp and then clean right away with water. The result is this beautifully subtle silvery impression. You can see it here on the top. I stamped the "Live Your Bliss" first with a dye ink, let it dry and then stamped the flowers over the top.


A little paper flower and some tulle shoved in between the two frame layers and there you go!


So take a stab at it this week and create a project with the frame as the focal point. I think you'll enjoy the process as much as the result. Take a look at what the other OCC designers have come up with:

Linda Coughlin The Funkie Junkie

Vicki Burdick It's a Stamp Thing
Sue Butler Scrumplescrunch
Anita Houston The Artful Maven Haven
Anne Marie Hile Stampin' Anne
Marcy Kaminski En Papillote Arts
Irena Kowalczyk (aka Rudlis) Love, Life and Crafts
Meihsia Liu Simply Paper Crafts
Tui Nathan Stampin Time
Lori Rider The Diva Stamper
Kristin Tierney Lilly Beth Boutique
Sharon Wheet Designs by Sharon 

I cant' wait to see what you come up with!
Holly

5 comments:

  1. Holly, this is so lovely! That wisteria color is so pretty and soft and love how you decorated your box! Hugs, Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Holly
    This Box is just delightful and I love how you have incorporated the frame on the Top, the one flower with it's organza trim is just perfect. Thank you so much for taking this Challenge off the Page!
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Holly, this is such a beautiful creation. Love the soft color scheme and pretty flower....:) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO very pretty....the framed lid alone is gorgeous, but those lavender flowers stamped on the sides...swoon! Thanks for having me this week as a GD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until I saw it from the angle, I didn't realize you had the layers popped up. The box is GORGEOUS, Holly! The paper flowers and tulle are perfect embellishments.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment today! You're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete