July 21, 2012

OCC: Card Makeover!



Hi Friends!

In my job as a marketing manager, one of the things I do very often is challenge the graphic designers who work on my team to improve their skills. Most of the time, their growing relies on trying something new. But sometimes it comes in reworking something done previously using new techniques, freshly re-honed skills and a wider scope of inspiration. And that's what I like about the Our Creative Corner challenges as well. Sometimes we just need to start with something we did in an earlier time and see how we might improve on it.


This week at Our Creative Corner, we're doing just that. Our host, Lori Rider, was inspired by TV makeovers and has adapted the makeover concept for this week's challenge. As she puts it, "When I look back on those cards I made when I first started stamping, I cringe... what was I thinking?" 


My hobby only started a few years ago, so I have a lot of material to draw on! First, here's the "new" card - the one I've created for this challenge:



and here's the card I made in September of 2011 (insert "yikes" here):

I took the layout, rotated it 90° and kept the light blue/pink color scheme.



I distressed all the paper pieces, adhered the ribbon and bow and then added a few BoBunny chipboard butterflies with some glitter and WOW what an improvement. Don't you think?


I hope you're inspired enough to get working on a project and submit it to this week's challenge. Take a look at what the other OCC designers have put together for us this week:



Linda Coughlin The Funkie Junkie
Vicki Burdick It's a Stamp Thing
Sue Butler Scrumplescrunch

Anita Houston The Artful Maven Haven
Anne Marie Hile Stampin' Anne
Marcy Kaminski En Papillote Arts
Irena Kowalczyk (aka Rudlis) Love, Life and Crafts
Meihsia Liu Simply Paper Crafts
Tui Nathan Stampin Time
Lori Rider The Diva Stamper
Kristin Tierney Lilly Beth Boutique
Sharon Wheet Designs by Sharon


To play along with this challenge, you'll have to do a little bit o' homework. Hunt through your photos and find one of those old cringe-worthy cards – but then choose one or two things about it that you do like and use those elements on a new card. Think of it as CASEing yourself. Maybe you keep the layout, the colors, a technique you used... anything is fair game. You have to show us the old card so we can see how far you’ve come!

A Reminder About Posting:
We ask that you read the challenge requirements carefully and not submit work that does not fit our challenge.  Any submissions that do not follow the challenge requirements will be removed.  
We do require that your project be a new project and not back-linked to a project made before this challenge started. Please be sure you link back to the OCC blog post in order to be eligible for our Top Talent award.  This challenge closes at 11:59 p.m.Eastern Time on July 27th.

I can't wait to see what you chose and how much better you were able to pull it off!
Holly

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color and paper choice... so warm. I see nothing wrong with the first, but I do like the second better because of the warmth! The bow is just gorgeous as well!!! This was a super fun challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Holly
    Yes I agree 100% this is an improvement, you have created a wonderful contrast in your re-make Holly; the dark floral paper juxtaposing with the Pink. Your butterflies are wonderful, but it is the big White Bow that makes this card so special. A great make-over.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both Holly but the re-make is definitely much better. The white bow and the butterflies add a special touch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete