August 20, 2011

OCC: Sketch Challenge

I love sketches. I just can't get enough of them. I remember when I first looked at a set of sketches from Paper Crafts Magazine I was pretty overwhelmed, a little confused and a lot unsure of how exact the sketch should be. But over time, I've come to really cherish them. Now, they pretty much get me started on every project I do. I just can't get started unless I have an idea of where I'm going. And if I shift my design in the middle and end up with a layout that's quite a bit different than the original sketch, that's OK to me.

This week on Our Creative Corner, we're using a sketch for our challenge this week. Vicki's sketch is perfectly simple so it really encourages designers to be creative with their cards. I'm really curious to see how different each one of you will approach it and what it will take to make it your own.


Because I love sketches, I really enjoyed the process as much as the finished project. Here's my take on Vicki's great sketch.


This is the first time I've used a crocheted flower on my card and I think it really works here. I've been drooling over Julia Stainton's work lately and she uses these occasionally so I thought I'd give it a try.

I stamped a word background stamp onto the tag and as it dried it lightened up quite a bit but I still love it.


And here's a little tip on keeping twine to stay in place on a circle. Sometime trying to tack twine to paper is a loosing battle so I used another trick I've used before that works well for me. I actually placed a few foam dots on both sides of the twine on the back to keep it in place.

I tried to take a picture to show you:


Play along with us this week at Our Creative Corner and use this week's sketch as your inspiration and don't forget to check out the other DT blogs to see how they've made this sketch their own!

Linda Coughlin
Lori Rider
Wendy Janson
Vicki Burdick
Sharon Wheet
Jen Rzasa
Kristen Tierney
Anne Marie Hile
Marjie Kemper
Tui Nathan
Have a great weekend!
Holly


8 comments:

  1. I'm with you, that crochet flower TOTALLY works here! It's a perfect complement to the fantastic polkadot circle and doily. Really adorable card. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Holly. Love your take on the sketch! The flower is awesome and looks terrific with the pins. I like the faint words on the tag, too... another layer of dimension. You are really good at photographing your work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the subtle words on the tag, and the crocheted flower is a lovely addition to your fabulous card! I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card Holly! I love the colors and patterns of the DP and that crocheted flower rocks! The doily works perfectly there and you can't go wrong with kraft, in my book anyways!

    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, this is SO shabby-tastic! Love the soft colors, the pretty patterns and that cool crochet flower. VERY pretty! Enjoy your day! Bug hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous creation Holly ... oh, everything in your card is so lovely and so pretty ... gorgeous colours, love the shabby turn chic styling in your card ... but I really really like how you have angled the tag yet kept the sentiment straight ... I sometimes head tilt when I look at angled items!!!
    Love your take on the sketch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly, what a stunning card! I LOVE your crochet flower. Its so pretty and adds just the right amount of softness!
    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely card and the crochet work - too adorable! Hi via the Inspiration Showcase!
    Helen --Firenze Cards

    ReplyDelete