September 18, 2011

Technique Practice: Resist

So I'm taking Jennifer McGuire's Inspiration Showcase class and haven't had the time throughout the week to really watch the videos so I caught up on Friday night and have really become quite inspired!

Here's my tag which incorporates some of her ideas and techniques.



I started by stamping the Old Letter Writing text on a piece of white card stock. I then inked up a large background stamp with embossing ink, stamped over the top of the writing and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I did have to do it a few times because the embossed pattern didn't turn out very well  the first few times.

I then started rubbing Tim Holtz Distress Ink with my distress tool. I wanted to do a rainbow effect so I added color in small strips - blending and incorporating color to fade from one to another. I then cut it into a tag shape. I used some Walnut Stain Distress Ink on the edges.



I then embossed a piece of vellum with an embossing folder and had originally intended to stamp the sentiment on that behind the butterflies but the pattern of the tag made it hard to see the sentiment. So I trimmed another banner in the same size and put the dotted vellum piece behind the smooth one. Love it!

I diecut the butterflies, folded them a bit for some more dimension and then used a little bit of Glossy Accents in the center to mount them together. I used two very small bits of foam dots to adhere the pink butterfly to the vellum sentiment banner.

I finished it off with a silver eyelet and some white satin ribbon.

The resist technique here is really great for creating layers and dimension with stamping. I will continue to work it into my projects going forward. It does add time and steps to a project but it is SO worth the effort.

Hope you have a great week ahead!
Holly

5 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic Holly. I'm signed up for the class too but haven't had time to play yet. Hopefully very soon. Love the resist and your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Holly .... what a fabulous creation!!!
    I tried to sign up for that class too, but I was too late ... darn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, your tag is gorgeous! I love how you stamped the text first and then heat embossed the large flourish! and I think you did a fabulous job with the rainbow inking!

    Thank you for your honesty that this wasn't your first attempt. I think folks try new techniques and may get discouraged when it doesn't turn out. So thank you for letting us know that it does take a time or two to get it. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Holly, I am your newest follower. Your cards are really amazing and very inspiring.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just fantastic, Holly! Beautiful job with the resist and amazing work with your rainbow sponging. That's not something I'm good at - too impatient and then it comes out al blotchy. Yours is wonderful - love those colors too.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete