April 3, 2011

An Idea Cometh

Happy Sunday!

I had a great weekend, busy but not swamped with things to do. And I'm happy to say that the card I'm posting today only took about an hour to actually make once I had the idea.

I've been laboring over a concept for the Tuesday Trigger challenge at Moxie Fab World and sketch from Clean and Simple. I like the photo but I was struggling to pull something from it as inspiration. Instead of sitting in my studio, grasping at a handful of half-baked ideas, I used a method I use at work to discover an idea. Some people sit at a desk for hours and hours and keep trying new things when they're struggling. I like to do other things to help my mind see things from a different perspective. I find that while I'm driving, doing some dishes or cleaning up Grady's room my brain is thinking through some of these idea. It gives me a great start when I do finally get into my studio. Some might think its "wasted" time but if you sit at a desk for 8 hours with few good ideas or around the house for 6 and 2 in the studio with the same (or better) result, what's the difference?

I tried to look beyond the obvious and found my cue in the pattern created by the window behind the towel. Clearly I used the colors too but I'm very excited about how well my idea converted into my actual card.


Here's the inspiration photo from Moxie Fab:


And the sketch from Clean and Simple:


 

I created six postage stamp cutouts from different orange patterned papers and a couple with orange and blue but I really wanted the color focus on the orange (I really like this color). They came from several different paper manufacturers - GCD Studios, DCWV and Echo Park.

I "marinated" on the title of the photo in my thinking this week - Farm Fresh. The stitching felt "farm-ish" to me so I stitched the paper swatches to the backing. I stamped the sentiment with VersaMark embossing ink and used Stampendous white embossing powder to make it stand out against the blue patterned paper banner. I cut the banner with an Exact-o blade and a ruler. I stuck the sentiment to the card with a few foam dots.

I REALLY like this layout and concept (zeroing on on a single color to define the concept). I think I'm going to make a set of cards using a different base color and sentiment on each for a gift.

I hope you enjoy! Have a great week!

Holly

3 comments:

  1. Hey Holly! What a fun approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you gave it a whirl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in the gallery at Mozie Fab - great take on the challenge! Thanks for your sweet comments on my project for PC's 350 Cards and Gifts Blog Hop today! Next time I'm in town I'll bring some cookies over...;)

    ReplyDelete